Microsoft Word is probably the most well-known word processing program that is available now. Many people use the term “Word” generically to refer to any word processing software. The most recent version of Microsoft Office has been stable, and there have been no problems with them. But, at times, you may notice that Microsoft Word is not responding. It simply stays on one screen, no matter what you try.
Microsoft Word not responding is usually displayed with an error message; otherwise, the entire user interface freezes. Sometimes, you are unable to open files that you have previously saved, or the current file can’t be saved. The program will then display an error notice “Word not responding.”
Microsoft Word not responding is a problem that occurs when working using Word and may cause many problems. Most of the time, the issue isn’t due to Word itself, but rather by the previously installed macros, add-ins, and antivirus applications. Damaged templates or documents can hinder Word in responding once you open it.
The issue could appear to be bigger when you don’t save your work, and the system displays the problem in between. Well! There’s no need to worry any longer, and we’ll assist you with all the information you require to get rid of the Word Not Responding error. From causes to quick troubleshooting solutions, our blog has it all.
Spare us a few minutes, and we will work out on how to deal with word file corruption.
Causes Behind the Microsoft Word Not Responding Error
It is common to see a “Microsoft Word is not responding” error message due to one of the following reasons:
- The inability to open, save, or access a remote document is caused by a server timeout.
- An outdated system driver.
- A corrupt program file.
- The recent operating system on your PC does not support the MS Office edition you are using.
- Add-in is incompatible with the application.
Microsoft Word Not Responding Error: Quick Troubleshooting Solutions
There are many methods to resolve these kinds of problems with Word on your PC. These methods can be applied to solve similar issues with other Office applications, like PowerPoint, Excel, etc.
Solution 1: Run Word in Safe Mode & Turn Off Add-Ins
A solution for the issue of Microsoft Word not responding is to switch to safe mode. It allows you to access Word just with the required files. It can assist you in resolving any issues with add-ins that are affecting the program.
- You must hold the Ctrl key down while you click the Word shortcut.
- A prompt will appear asking you to access Word in Safe Mode. Select Yes to proceed.
- Choose File from the top menu. Go to the left sidebar and select Options.
- Choose the Add-ins option on the left side of the screen.
- On the right side, you’ll find the menu Manage. With the dropdown menu, click on Go.
- Uncheck the add-ins present on the screen and tap OK.
- Open Word in the normal mode, and you will not face Word Not Responding error.
Solution 2: Repair the Corrupted Document
If Word fails to respond to certain types of documents, it may indicate issues with the documents. One solution is to fix those damaged documents and then open them using Word.
- Launch Word on your PC. If the normal mode does not work, use Safe Mode.
- From the left-hand sidebar, select the Open option.
- On the next screen, click Browse to browse & select the document with issues.
- Tap on the arrow icon beside the option Open and select Open & Repair.
- Word will automatically open the document and start the repairing process.
Solution 3: Install the Latest Updates for Windows & Office
If you discover that your Office Version or Windows system is not up-to-date, Microsoft Office Word may be unable to work or even crash. These are steps you can take to install the most recent updates for Windows & Microsoft Office:
A. Update Windows to the Latest Version
- Hold the Windows + I keys to access the Windows Settings.
- Next, tap on Update & Security.
- Choose the option Check for updates within Windows Update.
- When a new Windows update box appears, click the Install Now button and follow the instructions to complete the installation.
B. Install the Latest Microsoft Office update
For Office 2013 & Later Versions:
- Launch the MS Office application and tap on File.
- Click on the tab Account & then tap on Product Information.
- Go to the Update Options.
- Select the Enable Update option & then tap on the option Update Now
Note: If there is no Enable Update button, this indicates that automatic updates are enabled.
Note: To complete the process, you need to follow the on-screen instructions. After that, you need to open a Word document again or create a Word file once again.
Solution 4: Try the Office Repair tool
Another method to resolve Word not responding error is to take assistance from the Microsoft Office Repair tool. This tool can solve a range of Word issues, including crashes, freezing, etc. The steps involved in this process are here below.:
- Hold the Windows + R keys to access the Run window.
- Under the Run window, type Control Panel & hit Enter.
- Tap on the option Programs and navigate to Programs & Features.
- Within the list, select Microsoft Office.
- From the top menu, click on Change.
- You will now see some options on the window.
- Select Repair and tap on Continue.
Note: In case you are operating a newer Microsoft Office version, go to the Quick Repair or Online Repair option and then tap on Repair.
Now your computer will be rebooted, and the repair process will begin. Once you have done this, open MS Office and see if the “Word Not Responding” error still occurs.
Solution 5: Disable the Antivirus Software
Certain antivirus programs are incompatible with other apps. We suggest switching your antivirus program temporarily off and seeing what happens using Word.
The majority of antivirus programs can be deactivated by right-clicking on the icons on the system tray and selecting Turn off or Disable protection.
If Word begins responding after having deactivated the antivirus, then the antivirus program and Word aren’t working well together. You should remove the antivirus you’re currently using and install some other antivirus.
Solution 6: Repairing the Microsoft Office Suite
Problems related to Microsoft Office apps, including Word, are quite common, and the apps come with a tool to solve problems. The Microsoft Office utility is accessible, and you can select the Repair option to resolve any problems that arise within the Office applications installed on your PC.
A. Using Control Panel
- On your PC, access the Control Panel.
- Tap on the option Uninstall a Program. You won’t be uninstalling anything.
- From the list, select Microsoft Office & tap on Change.
- Select Quick Repair & then click on Repair.
- In case the Quick Repair option could not resolve the issue, then go for the option Online Repair.
B. Using Settings
- Open your PC’s Settings app.
- Select Apps on the next screen.
- From the list, select Microsoft Office & tap on Modify.
- Select the option Quick Repair to fix the Office suite
The above methods assure you that the Word Not Responding error will be fixed. But to leave no voids in our troubleshooting, you must opt for professional repairing tools. One such excellent Word repairing tool is Recoveryfix for Word Recovery. Recoveryfix for Word is an MS Word doc recovery software with facilities like absolute Word file recovery, inbuilt preview facility, & retention of original quality. Apart from such excellent features, this tool is compatible with all versions of MS Word files namely .docx, .dot, .doc, .dotx, .dotm, etc.
This easy-to-use and user-friendly tool is free to download and use. Go for it if all else fails. This tool never disappoints, and you will get all Word errors resolved within seconds.
The Bottom Line
With the best solutions onboard, Word Not Responding error will not prevail anymore. However, for effective repairing, it is always advisable to go for a professional tool like Recoveryfix for Word. It is free to download and use. In just a few clicks, all your Word-related problems will vanish.
- 5 Ways to Fix Inaccessible Boot Device Error in Windows 11/10
- How to Recover the Data from External Hard Drive?
- Some Popular Methods to Repair Microsoft Word files