As an administrator of an organization, if you have ever faced the situation of corrupt SQL database, then you know how vital it is to repair the damaged MDF and NDF files of the Microsoft SQL Server. Though repairing corrupt SQL database is not easy as there is always the risk of losing your data. In this article, we’ll talk about how to fix corrupt SQL database, but before proceeding to that let’s have a look at why SQL database gets corrupt.
Reasons Behind SQL Database Corruption
Corruption error most often occurs in MDF files as these are the primary database files holding most of the crucial data. There could be various reasons behind SQL database corruption, such as:
- Power failure or improper shutdown of the system
- Data storage failure where MDF files are stored
- Making changes in SQL server account
- Storing SQL database in compressed folders
- Network failure with database in working condition
- Server affected by virus/malware
- Bugs in disk drivers
These are the reasons that can corrupt SQL database easily, and when you try to access corrupt databases, you might get different errors, such as:
MSG 823/824/825 error in SQL server
Error 9004 in SQL Server
Metadata Corruption Error
SQL Server Page Level Corruption
There are several other corruption errors that can occur while accessing a corrupt SQL database. So, you must take restricted actions to prevent any data loss.
Methods to Repair Corrupt SQL Databases
Repairing corrupt SQL database is not easy, it requires complete tech knowledge to fix the corruption. However, there are some manual methods that can be used to fix the corruption in SQL databases.
1. Using Log Files
Log files of SQL can be used to restore the SQL database. However, it is not helpful in every corruption case because sometimes even backup files get corrupted if the corruption level is severe.
2. With DBCC CHECKDB/DBCC DEBREPAIR Command
These console commands can be very useful in fixing minor SQL database corruption issues. Follow the below steps to fix database corruption with these commands.
- Run DBCC CHECKDB on the corrupt database.
- Check the index ID. If it is greater than 1, drop and recreate it, and then re-run the console command.
- If the corruption is fixed after running the command, a message will appear on the screen displaying: “DBCC CHECKDB found “0 allocations” errors and “0 Consistency” errors in “Name of your corrupt database.””
3. With MS SQL Server Management Studio
SQL Server Management Studio by Microsoft can resolve most of your issues with the SQL database.
- Install and run “Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio.”
- Now, connect it with your SQL database and click on “New Query.”
- You need to write a SQL script – “Reset Status,” with your database name in the “New Query” page, and then execute this script.
Running this script will fix the major issues in your SQL server database.
Alternate Solution – RecoveryFix for SQL Database Recovery Software
If you want to avoid the hassle of manual methods and don’t want to risk losing your data, then RecoveryFix for SQL Database Recovery is the best alternative to it. It is an advanced tool specially designed to recover and repair SQL Databases. It is enriched with great features to recover SQL database. Some of which include:
- Fixes all corruption errors/issues of SQL files
- Recover data from corrupt/damaged SQL databases
- Offers two saving modes for recovery, i.e., Server and Batch mode
- Suitable for recovering all SQL database components
- Maintains the data integrity of SQL database
- Preview recovered data before saving.
Whatever corruption error you are facing with SQL database, RecoveryFix for SQL Database Recovery software can fix them all efficiently.
How to Repair Corrupt SQL Database
It is quite easy to use RecoveryFix for SQL Database recovery tool. Steps in detail are given below for better guidance:
- Open RecoveryFix for SQL Database Recovery.
- Click Browse (1), select the corrupt/damaged MDF database file and click Next (2).
- Wait until the scan process completes:
- Upon completion of the file scan, RecoveryFix for SQL Database Recovery will load all database objects and list them in a tree structure as below.
- Select Saving Mode (1).
- Wait for the process to complete, in case, if you made any mistake or wish to make any adjustment, click on Stop button.
- Upon successful MDF database file repair & recovery, RecoveryFix for SQL Database will show objects saved as below, click OK.
Note: In case, if you wish to select another MDF database file, click on the Stop button and select the other MDF file.
For demonstration, we’ve selected “Save into live SQL instance” option. It’ll recover data into the newly created database.
Select Authentication mode (2) and input authentication details and click (3).
Note: You can choose between Windows or Server Authentication mode as per the preference.
Facing corruption errors in the SQL database is common but fixing those errors to save your data is not that simple. In this blog, we have mentioned specific techniques that can be used to resolve any corruption error in SQL database.
Read Related Blog
- Tips and Tricks to Recover SQL Server Database with No Backup
- Tips to Restore Master SQL Database in MS SQL
- Most Effective Strategy to Resolve DBCC CHECKDB – A Consistency Error