MOV is the native file format of QuickTime media player, and is widely used for streaming videos. The use of MOV files has grown over recent times. However, like other file formats we face video playback issues in MOV as well. Many users have reported corruption issues in their MOV files and stated that they are unable to play the videos irrespective of the platform they are played on.
Fortunately corruption in MOV and other video file formats can be easily fixed by some manual techniques. Also, some popular media player applications like QuickTime and VLC have embedded repair features to sort out video playback issues in MOV, MP4 and other major video formats.
Some recommended ways to fix corruption in MOV files include:
- Convert the file format
- Use VLC to replicate videos
- Use an automated approach to fix corruption.
Root causes behind corruption in MOV files
Corruption in videos can have several reasons ranging from hardware to software failures. However, there are some common scenarios that are considered to be general in case of Windows platform. For instance:
- An abrupt shutdown/sudden power loss
- Unstable Internet connection
- Virus intrusion
- Unreliable source of downloading
- Header damage
- Incomplete media transfer
There can be numerous reasons for a MOV file to get corrupt. Typically, scenarios like virus intrusion and header damage results high level of corruption in videos.
Methods to fix Corruption in MOV files
Now, let’s talk about the methods to fix corruption in MOV files.
Method 1: Change the File Format
Changing the file format is the easiest way to access damaged video files. By converting the file format, we also mean changing the extension of the file.
All you have do is look for a reliable converter online, upload the video file, and choose a format other than the original one and then download the converted file to your local drive. However, this is a risky method as many online converters are not reliable or secure.
Method 2: Use VLC to repair videos
VLC can be used in different ways to deal with issues in video files. You can fix codecs, replicate videos, repair damages, etc.
Follow the steps to repair videos using VLC:
- Create a copy of the original MOV files.
- Change the extension to .avi format.
- Launch VLC, click on Tools and select Preferences.
- Click on Input/Codecs tab.
- From the dropdown next to the Damaged or incomplete AVI file, select Always Fix.
- Click Save to save the changes.
Try accessing the .avi file that you have renamed via VLC.
Method 3: Use an automated approach to fix corruption
You can use a reliable third-party software to fix the issue. Recoveryfix Video Repair is the best tool to repair corrupt videos. Recoveryfix supports almost all major file formats like MP4, MOV, MPEG, AVI, etc. You can repair a corrupt video file irrespective of the file size. Here is how the tool works:
- Launch Recoveryfix Video Repair on your system and click on Add File(s).
- Locate the directory containing the corrupt videos, select the required videos and click Open. You can add multiple files in a single repair cycle.
- If the tool asks for a reference file, you can add videos of the same file format other than the corrupted files. If not, click Repair Files.
- Select a destination to save the resultant files after the repair process. Click OK once selected.
- The repaired MOV files are saved to the specified location. Click Close to exit the tool’s interface; if you want to download a report to maintain a record of repaired files, click the Save report to CSV button.
Close the interface and try accessing the video files again.
MOV is a popular video file format. Due to its varied use and support to major OS platforms, the format is exposed to a number of threats. Corruption in MOV is a common situation for both Windows and MAC based users. This write up is documented to provide you all necessary information to deal with corruption in MOV files.
- How to Repair Corrupt FLV Video Files?
- Techniques to Fix Video File Error 0xc10100be
- VLC Won’t Play MP4 Files – How to Solve?