If you are using Microsoft Outlook for email, you must be aware about the great importance of Outlook PST file. In fact, PST files are the backbone of Outlook email communication and they are used for storing copies of messages, events, calendars, tasks, journals, and notes within the MS Outlook. The Personal Storage Table (PST) files suffer from corruption due to a variety of reasons like failure of storage device, faulty network device, power failure, attack of malicious virus or other software, abnormal Outlook handling, exceeding size of PST file etc. Such adverse conditions result loss of your important PST file data or inaccessibility of that. Whatever may be the circumstances but you suffer from a data disaster situation.
Microsoft has offered a free inbuilt utility to get rid of Outlook PST issues. This utility is known as Inbox repair tool (scanpst.exe and it is installed on your computer. The Inbox Repair tool tries to correct any possible errors by resetting the data file structure and rebuilding the headers for Outlook items.
Important: You must exit Outlook before using the Inbox Repair tool.
- Open Windows Explorer and select the drive:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE14 folder.
- Double-click Scanpst.exe.
- In the Enter the name of the file you want to scan box, enter the name of the .pst or .ost file that you want to check, or click Browse to select the file.
- To specify the scan log options, click Options, and then click the option that you want.
- Click Start.
- If errors are found, you are prompted to start the repair process to fix the errors.
- A backup file is created during the repair process. To change the default name or location of this backup file, in the Enter name of backup file box, enter a new name, or click Browse to select the file that you want to use.
- Click Repair.
- Start Outlook with the profile that contains the .pst file that you tried to repair.
- In the Navigation Pane, click Folder List.
- Keyboard shortcut to open switch to the Folder List, press CTRL+6.
You might see a folder named Recovered Personal Folders in the folder list that contains your default Outlook folders or a Lost and Found folder. The recovered folders are generally empty, because this is a rebuilt .pst file while the Lost and Found folder contains the folders and items recovered by the Inbox Repair tool. Now, you can create an Outlook Data File (.pst), and drag the items in the Lost and Found folder into the new data file.
Functions of Inbox Repair Tool (scanpst.exe):
- The scanpst.exe tool analyzes the Personal Folders (.pst) file directory structure and item headers for recovering all folders and items.
- The scanpst.exe tool tries to turn any file into a Personal Folders (.pst) file. For example, if you rename an executable file to “Something.pst” (without quotation marks), the tool changes the file to a mountable .pst file.
- The Inbox Repair tool (scanpst.exe) makes a backup copy of any Personal Folders (.pst) file before you try to repair the file.
- Scanpst.exe utility typically validates and corrects errors in the internal data structures of a .pst file.
- If Scanpst.exe determines that a specific block of the structure or table is unreadable or corrupted, Scanpst.exe removes it.
In spite of that, sometimes you become helpless when Inbox repair tool get failed and your Outlook issues remain same as earlier. In such cases, you can try professional PST Repair tool. RecoveryFix for Outlook is a proficient tool in this field and offers you the best possible result by taking minimum time.
- Way to Fix Email Header Corruption in Outlook PST
- Free PST Repair Tools for Outlook Users
- How to Import OST Files into Outlook?