If you use Outlook regularly, then you might be aware of the errors and problems that keep on popping-up in Outlook. Some errors are familiar and easy to fix, but some errors are totally unknown and leave us puzzled. Similarly, many users are facing an error “0X800401d” and don’t know why it’s happening and how to fix it. Here, we are going to discuss why this error happens and how to fix it.
Why does this error happen?
Before we discuss the solutions for this error, let’s know why this error happens and how to avoid it. Let’s see the reasons that may lead to this error:
- Oversized PST
- Corruption in PST
- Improper shutdown practices by user
- Installing an anti-virus
- Oversized Outlook mailbox
- Damaged header file
How to fix “0X800401d?”
Once you know the root of the error, you can fix it with a proper solution. If you don’t know the cause, you can try all the below-mentioned solutions one by one and see which one works for you.
- Solution 1: Try Reducing the Size of PST
By reducing the PST’s size, you can fix this error, let’s know how to do it:
- Start with clicking on the File option on the top- right corner of the application.
- Select Account Settings from the menu and select Account Settings again.
- Now, in the Account Settings dialogue box, select the Data Files tab. In that select the account from which you want to select the PST to compact and click on the Settings option.
- In Outlook Data Files Setting dialogue box, you will get a PST listed, or you can click Browse to select the PST which you want to compact. Once selected, click on the Compact Now button and click on the OK button to finish.
- Doing this will compact your PST and will reduce its size instantly. Reducing the size of the PST should fix this error. If it doesn’t work for you, then move to the next method.
- Solution 2: Fix with Scanpst.exe
If reducing the size of the PST did not fix the problem for you, then it might be a case of corruption. To fix the corruption in the PST, you might need to fix the corruption in the PST. Outlook comes with an inbuilt utility to fix the minor corruption in the PST. Let’s work our way out with Scanpst.exe.
- To find the Scanpst.exe utility, go to C drive > Program Files > Microsoft Office > Root > Office16 > SCANPST.EXE.
- Double click on the SCANPST.EXE to open the Inbox Repair Utility.
- Browse for the PST file and click Start.
- Once the initial process is over, click on the Repair button next.
- Once the repair is over, click on the OK.
This repair utility from Outlook can only fix the corruption if it is minor. If corruption is major or severe, then this utility may not help you. If you still wish to fix the error move to the next method to fix the error.
- Solution 3: With an Automated Third-party Tool
If you can’t fix the PST file with Scanpst.exe, then you need to use an automated third-Party tool like Recoveryfix for Outlook PST Repair. It is a user-friendly tool with simple GUI and advanced features to fix any type of corruption in a PST. Let’s see how this tool works:
- To select the corrupt PST, click on the Browse button. And also select recovery modes from Standard and Advanced modes. Click on the Next button once everything is done.
- In the next step, you can have the preview of the recovered files by clicking on the individual files at a time. Have the preview of the contents of the file on the preview pane of the tool. Once you are satisfied with the preview, select the folders and click on the Save button.
- It is time to manage the saving options for the recovered PST file; so, in this step, select the output type and format for the PST. Once done, click on the Browse button to provide a destination to save the recovered PST file; also, select the split option for the file, to split it into multiple PSTs after a specified size. There are two other options that tool provides to manage the PST better, i.e., option to remove the top of the personal folder and to add a prefix to the file. Once done with all selections, click on the OK button to proceed.
- Moving forward, the saving process will take place; wait for the process to finish.
- As the saving process finishes, click on the OK button to finish.
Note: Click on Stop to stop the process anytime.
In this blog, we have discussed what the error 0X800401d is, how it happens, and what are the solutions for it. We have listed three solutions: in one method, we have used Recoveryfix for Outlook PST Repair to fix the error. If the error is occurring due to the highly corrupted PST, then this tool is highly recommended.
Read Related Blog
- Fix Outlook Spell & Grammar Check is Not Working Issue
- Inbox Emails Disappear in Outlook – How to Fix the Issue?
- Easy Ways to Fix Outlook 365 Issues on Windows 10