Sometimes Outlook keeps asking for a password, even after successfully logging in. You tried multiple times, but your Outlook continuously asks for the password. It might be due to Windows updates, your Outlook settings, or other reasons. Windows updates aim to improve your system’s performance and offer better functionality. Sometimes these updates can cause issues also. Don’t worry; we will help you.
Why is Outlook asking for the password?
If Outlook asks for the password again and again, it might be due to the following issues
- Missing updates for the email client
- Incorrect password/credentials
- Corrupt or outdated Outlook application
- Antivirus software interruption
- A poor network connection
Also, data loss issues can happen due to corrupt or damaged Outlook PST files. In that case, you need to fix your Outlook PST file issues.
Some easy solutions to resolve the Outlook password prompt issue
One can try different solutions to fix the Outlook password prompt issue depending on the reason. Here are the most popular solutions
First Solution: Remove and add your Microsoft account
Sometimes removing and adding back your Microsoft account might solve the password error
The steps are as follows:-
- Go to Start and click on Settings.
- Then select the Accounts option.
- On the left side, opt for Emails & accounts
- In the Accounts column used by other apps section, select the Account.
Now select the Remove button.
- Now you can restart your computer device to bring changes to your account settings. Then head back to the Emails & account section and add your Microsoft account.
Second Solution: Create a new Outlook profile
- Go to Start and select the Control Panel.
- Then click on the Mail option.
- Now click on Show Profiles.
- Click Add. Then enter the name of the new profile and then choose ok. Add details like email address. Click the Next option and then Apply.
- Select your profile; select ‘Always use this profile and then click OK.
Third Solution: Disable antivirus & add app exclusions
Antivirus software also can disturb Outlook and may cause the password prompt problem. So, disable the antivirus on your system and see if this resolves the issue.
If you are using a Windows Firewall Defender, here is what you can do to add application exclusions.
- Select Control Panel.
- Choose the System & security option.
- Select Windows Defender Firewall.
- Then press Allow an app or feature through the Windows Defender Firewall.
- Ensure that the Microsoft Office box is checked in the Private and Public options.
- Then click OK.
Fourth Solution: Disable Outlook add-ins
Sometimes, disabling your add-ins helps in resolving the issue. Some quick steps are as follows:-
- Launch Microsoft Outlook.
- Go to the File menu.
- On the left side, click on Options.
- Select the Add-Ins option and click on Go.
- Select Add-ins and click on Remove.
Fifth Solution: Switch to a stable network connection
If the network connection is not good or unstable, Outlook may lose mail server connectivity. When reconnecting, it may ask for Outlook credentials. A stable internet connection can resolve the problem with Outlook.
Sixth Solution: Clear your cached passwords
If the login details of your profile on Windows are incorrect, then Outlook repeatedly prompts you for a password. So you need to remove all the credentials on your system.
Seventh Solution: Enable the ‘Remember password’ option
Sometimes, you accidentally disable the Remember Password option in your Outlook Settings. To enable this feature again, follow the easy steps:-
- Open the Outlook application.
- Go to File and click on Account Setting.
- Select Email Account.
- Select the email account and click Change.
- In Change Account, click on the box for Remember password.
- Then opt for the Next button and select Finish.
Eighth Solution: Update Outlook
Sometimes due to outdated versions, Microsoft Outlook keeps asking for the password. You update your Outlook version to solve this error.
- Open Outlook.
- Go to File and select the Office Account option.
- Click on Update Options.
- Now enter from the list to search for any new updates.
Ninth Solution: Reset Outlook credential settings
Wrong password credentials in your Credential Manager might cause Outlook password prompt issue. Steps to remove your password credentials.
- Click on Control Panel.
- Select Credential Manager. Choose the Windows Credentials option.
- Under the Generic Credentials, select your Microsoft account. Click on the Remove button.
- To confirm, click on Yes.
MS Outlook may prompt for passwords repeatedly due to various reasons. You can resolve this problem through the solutions provided here. If these methods don’t work to fix the error and you are facing data loss issues, then our suggestion is to use a trusted Outlook PST recovery tool. So, when you feel Outlook has stopped and lost all the data from your profile, go for a professional solution such as Recoveryfix for Outlook PST Repair. Through this tool, you can even recover permanently deleted PST emails.
- Inbox Emails Disappear in Outlook – How to Fix the Issue?
- Easy Ways to Fix Outlook 365 Issues on Windows 10
- The operation Failed. An object could not be found – Fixed