MBOX is a popular file format supporting 20 email clients such as Eudora, Apple Mail, Powermail, Thunderbird, etc. Although it is flexible and can be used at many platforms, but the popularity, accessibility, and demand of a PST file make it mandatory to have a copy in PST format. Let’s discuss in detail why we need this conversion.
Why Is It Needed to Convert MBOX file to Outlook PST?
Let’s know what are the reasons behind why one would want to convert an MBOX file to PST:
- The user might want to convert MBOX files to Outlook PST due to the additional features, easy usability, and a well-structured work-processes.
- A PST can support different types of data, such as emails, contacts, tasks, calendars, notes, and other items in Outlook. Unlike PST, an MBOX file supports only email messages.
- PST is an advanced format, that helps in storing mailbox data systematically, while in MBOX format emails are saved in a sequence.
- Microsoft Outlook supports Exchange accounts, and it also enables its user to use Outlook in an offline mode.
- MS Outlook is more secure than any other platform that makes PST more secure than MBOX.
- Outlook also provides better controlling options to the users.
We see here, some of the reasons why users need to use Outlook PST. There are some manual methods of conversion depending on the applications.
Manually Converting MBOX to PST
So, we have learnt the benefits of converting MBOX file to PST; now it’s time to discuss how you can do it, so, let’s get started:
To perform the MBOX to PST conversion, you first need to store all your Apple mails in MBOX format:
- Launch Apple Mail on the system
- Click on your File menu, Click Import Mailboxes
- within ‘Import data from:’ select program from where you will require to import your data via ‘Files in MBOX format.’
- Now, press Continue
- Provide the location where your MBOX files reside or are stored in. Click on Choose.
- Select items you’d like to import. Click Continue.
- Click Done. Browse Import section in mailboxes list.
- Install Eudora of the windows version.
Open Windows and follow the steps:
- Add an MBOX file extension to the file you have imported.
- Move file with MBOX file extension, ProjectMBOX.mbx to the Eudora directory with the data stored in them by default, in the application:
“C: Documents and Settings
- Open your Eudora and then double-click on ProjectMBOX.mbx. Close the app, install the Outlook Express on the Windows system.
- Open Outlook Express on the Windows.
Having installed Outlook Express, do the following:
- Launch your Outlook Express
- Go to the File menu, click on your Import and choose Messages
- Select the Eudora application from the list of your email apps and then select Next
- Browse through the location and choose your ‘. mbx.’ File. Click OK
- Now, click Next. Now, click Next and finally, select Finish.
In Outlook Express, you can access your imported folders by local folders. Finally, its time to import messages from the Outlook Express to Microsoft Outlook:
- In Microsoft Outlook, go to File and choose Open
- From your list of the options, select Import and then go to Import and Export
- Then, select Import Internet Mail and Addresses. Click Next
- Choose Outlook Express versions; 4.x, 5.x, 6.x or Window Mail
- Confirm that your Import Mail is tick-checked. Click on Next
So, this is how you can convert MBOX file to PST with manual methods. But what if you do not have enough time to follow manual methods or you were not successful at your attempt? Well, in that case, you need to move to the automated method.
In this automated method, we are going to use Recoveryfix for MBOX to PST Converter, which is a third-party tool. Let’s see how it works:
RecoveryFix may be used in this way:
- Select an email client
- Press Add folder to select the folder you wish to convert. Click Finish.
- Now, select the folders from the Folder List on the left. And select the file and preview content
- Click the Save button which looks like a floppy and is located right above the Folder list. Make sure which items will be converted. (note: by default, ‘Define Filter Criteria for conversion’ will is selected). Click on Next
- Now, Select Save in PST. Then, Select the Browse option to choose the destination where you wish to save the converted PST file. Click Save.
- The process of conversion begins
- On Completion, the following message is displayed:
- Click Ok.
- Your MBOX File is converted to PST.
Summarizing It All.
Conventional methods as A guide to converting mbox file to outlook pst are often pretty worthwhile. However, they cannot grant you the security of an error-free conversion. For this do, we need the MBOX to PST Converter by RecoveryFix. It is a user-friendly tool which reduces the complexities to convert the MBOX to PST and it saves the PST file at the desired location.
- 2 Reliable Ways to Convert MBOX to PST Free
- How to Exports Multiple MBOX Files to Office 365?
- How to Convert MBOX to Office 365?