OST (Offline Outlook Data File) is the format used by MS Outlook to store offline files (on the local system). With OST file, you can operate Outlook in offline mode. However, sometimes, you need to transfer some of its data safely and securely to others. For this, it is necessary to convert OST files to PST format. Now, we are going to discuss how you can convert an OST file into PST.
Where to find the OST file?
Before we talk about the conversion, let’s know the location OST file. By default, it is located in any of these locations:
- drive:\Documents and Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook
Alternately, you can simply trace it from Control Panel. Open Control Panel and double-click Mail. Go to Data Files, select the OST File, and click Open File Location.
Why Convert OST to PST?
Why does one need to convert OST file to PST? Well, there are many reasons and benefits for converting OST file to PST, let’s discuss:
- If OST is corrupted and you can’t access the data. In that case, you will require a PST file as a backup to have the data.
- Unavailability of OST file due to sudden crash, power failure, virus attack, malicious software, and other issues like these. Due to these reasons, it might happen that you won’t be able to access the OST file.
- PST is a flexible file format which is portable.
- Due to some server related issues, it may happen that you can’t access your mailbox. In that case, it is necessary to restore OST file data in the form of PST.
Methods for OST to PST conversion
- Import & Export Utility
- Enable Archiving
- Automated Conversion
Import & Export is an inbuilt utility that comes with MS Outlook, and with the help of it, the user can import and export data in Outlook. You can find this utility by clicking on the File button in Outlook. Once you locate the Import/Export option, click on it, and follow the process as the utility demands.
Now, this might be confusing for many of you, that what does enabling archiving has to do with OST to PST conversion. When you enable archiving for any folder or mailbox, it creates a new PST file to store the data. To accomplish the current requirement, i.e., for OST to PST conversion, you need to configure your Exchange account with Outlook and enable archiving. There is one more benefit of enabling archiving is that it manages the space in the mailbox and keeps the Outlook clean and fast.
Manual methods do not always provide the desired results. They may take a lot of time and are tough to perform. In this scenario, it is best recommended to use an automated third-party tool like Recoveryfix for OST to PST. It is a conversion tool for OST file. The tool can convert OST files to PST or to EML formats, as per your requirement. You have to download the software from the website, install it, and run on your system. For the rest of the process, see the steps below:
- Once the tool is open, click on the Browse button and select the OST file you want to convert and click on Next.
- After the scan is over, a list of the folders of the OST file will open on the left side of the screen. Click on any folder to have the preview of its content. Select the folders you want to convert and click on the Next button.
- In the next step, you will get to choose from the conversion options, where you can select between OST to Outlook (PST & MSG) conversion and Outlook Express (DBX and EML) conversion. Here we are going for PST conversion, so select Save in Outlook and provide a destination to the file by clicking on the Browse button. You can go for splitting if required. Click on OK when you are done.
- Wait for the process to take place. If you wish to discard the process, click on the Stop button to do so.
- Once the OST to PST conversion is done, you will get the notification on the screen. Click on OK and you are done.
Well, the conversion experience with Recoveryfix for OST to PST Converter was very smooth and result oriented. It provides exactly what the user is looking for, and users are totally impressed with the data quality after conversion. Its users feel that they have all the authority in their hands, and they can even customize the conversion process as per their requirements. All in all, it is a great tool.
Read Related Blog
- Steps to Fix Outlook error “The Set of Folders Cannot be Open”
- Fix Microsoft Outlook Not Sending Emails on Windows 11
- Fix Outlook Spell & Grammar Check is Not Working Issue