The error 0x8004115 occurs when users fail to send new messages in Outlook. They may even fail to receive further emails in Outlook. The error code 0x80040115 affects the standard functionalities in Outlook and makes the Microsoft Exchange mailbox unavailable. This error is seen in all Outlook versions, including Outlook 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016, 2019, and 2021.
We will help you to discover the reasons behind the error 0x80040115 and share some solutions. There are some other errors also users can experience while using outlook such as cannot start Microsoft outlook invalid XML error due to the presence of an Invalid XML. Therefore, to avoid such errors users are advised to switch to a professional solution for a better experience.
Symptoms of the error 0x80040115 in Outlook
The error 0x80040115 indicates that your Outlook cannot connect to the server. The common symptoms of the error are:
- Outlook performs slowly.
- The machine starts to hang and sometimes freezes regularly.
- A message of the error 0x8004115 will come on your screen.
Causes of the Error 0x80040115 in Outlook
- Oversized PST file
- Improper Outlook installation
- Internal application conflict
- Email server issues
- Highly corrupted PST file
Methods to Resolve Error 0x80040115 in Outlook
The error 0x80040115 is common and sometimes resolves itself after a few minutes. But if the problem is consistent, we can quickly fix it with the steps below.
Before we start, ensure that the internet connection is proper. Also, ensure you have enough (more than 1 GB) disk space free on your C drive.
- Restart the system
Rebooting the system resolves connectivity and other minor issues. After restarting the system, ensure the internet connection is proper. Then start manually synchronizing the mailbox.
- Ensure enough storage space
You need to ensure enough storage space on the drive where the OST file is stored. Due to low storage capacity, Outlook may fail to send and receive new emails, leading to the error 0x80040115. So the drive where OST is stored (usually C: drive) must have more space than other drives. This can improve Outlook performance too.
- Clear DNS Cache
Clearing the DNS cache will help you flush the DNS cache and restart Outlook.
The process is as follows: –
- In the search box, type CMD then enter.
- Type in the command column: ipconfig/flushdns
- Then you will receive a success confirmation message.
Now, check if Outlook is working properly.
Launch Outlook in safe mode
Launching Outlook in safe mode will help to find if the issue is caused by add-ins.
- Open the Run box. Now type ‘Outlook.exe /safe’ and click OK.
- Select your profile and click OK.
- In Outlook, select File > Options; select ‘Add-ins’ and click on ‘Go.’
- Now, uncheck all the Outlook Add-ins and then click OK.
- Once completed, close Outlook and restart it.
Change profile settings
You can try changing the Outlook profile settings to fix this issue.
- Go to Control Panel > Mail (Microsoft Outlook).
- Click Show Profiles.
- Choose your profile and click on the option Properties.
- Choose an Email account.
- Select the Exchange server account and select the Change option.
- The mailbox server will appear with your username; click on More options.
- In the Microsoft Exchange box, select the Security tab.
- Clear the Encrypt data between Outlook and Microsoft Exchange option; click OK.
Create a new Outlook profile
If the problem error 0x80040115 remains the same, creating a new Outlook profile can solve the issue. Open the Start Menu.
- Go to Control Panel. Select Mail (Microsoft Outlook). If you are not able to see it, make sure you change the view to Small Icons in the top right corner
- Choose Show profiles.
- First, add a new Profile – give it a random name and enter your account details.
- Change Always use this profile.
Open Outlook and test now whether you can send and receive mail or not.
We added a new profile (but you can always switch back). If the new profile solved the error 0x80040115, then go back to the mail profiles and remove the old one. Then it will remove the local mail copy from your computer, freeing up space.
Repair Outlook Installation
Repairing Office applications is one of the easiest ways to fix Outlook issues.
- If there are any open Office applications, close them, including Outlook.
- Open the Control panel or Settings and select the Program and Features.
- Choose Office installation; if you are using standalone Outlook, select Outlook directly.
- Again, depending on what applies to your Outlook version, choose Change, Modify, or Repair.
- Choose the repair option you desire. Select Quick Repair first but if it doesn’t solve the problem, choose the Online Repair option.
This free Microsoft tool is helpful in fixing Outlook-related issues. Here is how you can use it:
- Open scanPST.exe from its location.
- Select the PST file and click on Start.
- After the scan, select Repair.
Try Recoveryfix for Outlook
Trying a professional tool like Recoveryfix for Outlook PST Repair is an excellent option to fix Outlook errors and recover the lost data. It is a better option than Scanpst.exe as it provides advanced features for requirements-based PST file recovery without causing technical troubles to the user. Also, it fixes errors in the PST files of all Outlook versions. You can try its free version before purchasing it too.
I hope you can quickly solve the error “Fix Outlook Error 0x80040115” through the solutions provided here. If these methods don’t work, we recommend you go ahead with one of the best tools named Recoveryfix for Outlook. Using this solution, users can easily resolve Outlook 2016 search greyed out error. It is an easy-to-use and secure tool for all Outlook errors. Moreover, it also supports all Outlook versions
- Steps to Fix Outlook error “The Set of Folders Cannot be Open”
- Fix Microsoft Outlook Not Sending Emails on Windows 11
- Fix Outlook Spell & Grammar Check is Not Working Issue